LEGO Trains Book
Learn the model-making process from start to finish, including the best ways to choose scale, wheels, motors, and track layout. Get advice for building steam engines, locomotives, and passenger cars, and discover fresh ideas and inspiration for your own LEGO train designs.
Inside you'll find:
- A historical tour of LEGO trains
- Step-by-step building instructions for models of the German Inter-City Express (ICE), the Swiss “Crocodile,” and a vintage passenger car
- Tips for controlling your trains with transformers, receivers, and motors
- Advice on advanced building techniques like SNOT (studs not on top), microstriping, creating textures, and making offset connections
- Case studies of the design process
- Ways to use older LEGO pieces in modern designs
For ages 10+
The LEGO Trains Book was featured in City Book Review's Holiday Gift Guide!
“The author's knowledge and passion for brick-built railways are clearly felt on every page. Once again, No Starch Press has given a platform to an area of the LEGO community which wouldn't necessarily be covered elsewhere.”
“Author Holger Matthes draws upon his years of experience and expertise to help LEGO enthusiasts ages 10 and up learn the model-making process.”
—Midwest Book Review
“A very comprehensive book, illustrated with excellent photographs and diagrams...Whether you're just starting to think about getting into LEGO trains, or you've been building them for years, you'll find a lot of interesting information within.”
“I have to give this book a 10/10 score. There was not a detail that was skipped over.”
—Brick Model Railroader
“The definitive guide for anyone who wants to build a LEGO train, whether you are a complete beginner or experienced builder.”
"Whether you have a passing interest in locomotives or would like to delve deeper into the world of L-Gauge, pistons and pantographs then this book comes highly recommended as a must-have bible on all things LEGO trains."
—Sébastien Daniell, Brick Fanatics