ABOUT US No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do. As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.” We're growing rapidly. As we expand we're hiring for the following positions.
We're expanding our Editorial department and seeking an experienced Editor. This is a fully remote position.
The No Starch Press Editor is an entrepreneur. You will develop, manage, and support book projects through the editorial process as you work to make them great. This is a creative and demanding job, requiring excellent judgment and interpersonal skills, the ability to engage with technical writing at a deep and detailed level, and the ability to track multiple projects through the fast-paced manuscript development process. You must be able to work independently with minimum supervision and in close collaboration with your peers. You should be very familiar with the technical book market and know what sorts of books the No Starch Press reader would like to read.
It is your job to understand the manuscripts that you are editing and the whole of the project that you are working on. You should know the intended reader, have a vision for the scope of the book, think about how to reach your readers, and be able to independently direct and support your authors.
These are some basic requirements of the position.
- Book manuscript development experience and the ability to communicate and defend your vision for the books you would acquire.
- Project management experience, especially the ability to juggle multiple projects in various stages simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to self-manage. You should have an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Excellent written communication skills and mastery of grammar, punctuation, and clear writing. You should be able to turn muddy technical writing into art.
- Familiarity with a range of software including commercial office suites, email, and search as well as tools like Git, LaTeX, photo editing software, as well as operating systems like Linux, BSD, or similar. Be a geek.
- Experience and/or demonstrated interest in programming, hacking tools, web development, and the sorts of tools you read about on Hacker News.
- You must be detail-oriented, flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, creative, and changeable environment. Ideas change, markets change, and we change in response.
- Five years hands-on editing experience in technical book publishing or a related field.
- College degree preferred
Our industry leading benefits package includes paid company holidays + 12 days vacation; a 401k with up to a 4% match, profit sharing, medical, dental, and vision insurance, and bonus potential. And we pay all of our staff a living wage. NOTE: When applying please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
reply to: [email protected]
We are seeking a highly motivated and detail-oriented Administrative Assistant to join our team.The role can be performed remotely, with occasional visits to our San Francisco office or nearby locations.
- Serve as HR liaison, managing HRIS, onboarding, and ensuring compliance.
- Maintain the utmost confidentiality and discretion in handling sensitive employee information.
- Organize travel arrangements and personal errands.
- Process mail, provide follow-up support, and assist with other administrative tasks as needed.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a similar role.
- Proficiency in Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, or similar tools.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- A Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a relevant field, with a focus on Human Resources a plus.
About No Starch Press: No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is a well-respected and renowned technical book publishing company. We pride ourselves on being independent and constantly pushing the boundaries of the industry, while ensuring our readers receive the highest quality content. Our company values collaboration, creativity, and quality, and we seek individuals who share these passions. We are dedicated to making a positive impact and "changing the world, one book at a time."
To stand out in your application, please let us know why you are interested in working for No Starch Press.
reply to: [email protected]
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please email [email protected] detailing your relevant experience.