No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do.
As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
We're growing rapidly and as we expand we're hiring for the following positions:
- HR Generalist / Office Manager
- Marketing Associate
- Editorial Assistant
- Editorial Production Assistant
All full time positions offer holiday, vacation, and sick time as well as medical, dental, and vision insurance. We also offer a 401k with match, profit-sharing, a retirement plan, and bonus potential. And we stock our fridge with food so you'll never have to miss lunch.
NOTE: When applying for any of these positions please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
Please send all job applications to [email protected]
We’re looking for a self-motivated and detail-oriented individual to join as our HR Generalist / Office Manager. You who will be responsible for a broad range of HR and office services to ensure a positive employee experience for No Starch Press employees. You will serve as the liaison with all departments and will be key to the success of our daily business operations and supporting company culture with a focus on results and retention. You will facilitate daily HR functions like onboarding employees, tracking employee records, and supporting the interview and recruitment process. You will help to empower managers and their teams and help monitor team and individual development. You will also be responsible for things like employee events and compliance issues.
You should have a broad knowledge of Human Resources as well as business administrative responsibilities. You should be able to work independently and efficiently to ensure that HR tasks and operations run smoothly and you should be familiar with HR software and tools.
Hiring and Onboarding (about 20%)
• Assist managers with recruitment by writing job descriptions, tracking and reviewing applicants, running background checks, and creating offer letters.
• Manage new hire orientation and onboarding.
Payroll, and Benefits Administration (about 30%)
• Answer day-to-day employee questions and fulfill requests.
• Assist supervisors and managers to ensure accurate entry of payroll adjustments
• Processes employee benefit enrollments, changes, and terminations;
• Assist with annual benefit open enrollment and review
• Review monthly invoices from benefits and office vendors and submit to accounting
• Enter and process employee payroll and expense reports
• Provide necessary reporting to Finance and government agencies.
• Handle sensitive employee information with the utmost confidentiality and discretion.
Legal and Compliance (about 20%)
• Assist with gathering information to assist with regulatory and compliance reporting.
• Assist with compliance and legal audits.
Office Management (about 15%)
• Research, plan and execute all company-wide employee events to excite employees and ensure that they align with company culture.
• Be the “go to” person for all employees needs related to the office, kitchen, recycling, safety, and so on
• Negotiate the purchase of office and kitchen supplies
• Coordinate the office safety program and annual training and drills
Executive Support (about 10%)
• Assist management with meeting support, catering, visitors, and so on
• Prepare executive travel arrangements and travel expense reports
• Assist with the preparation of meeting materials
• Proven experience as an HR coordinator or relevant human resources/administrative position
• Knowledge of human resources processes and best practices
• Strong ability to use Slack, Trello, Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Forms), Microsoft Office or similar
• Experience with HR software systems
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to handle data with the utmost confidentiality
• Good organizational and time management skills
• BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; additional education in Human Resource Management will be a plus
As our Publicist you'll work with our editors and marketing team to increase the visibility of our books while building our brand. You'll also work closely with our distributor, Penguin Random House, and their awesome book sales and marketing team.
You will manage all content promotion and drive brand awareness for No Starch Press. You will design and execute targeted marketing campaigns for authors and their books. Write press releases, distribute promotional content, provide public appearance coaching, and act as an in-house contact for media responses. In addition, you will:
- Advise authors on growing their online presence through social media
- Supervise creative for ads and other promotional items
- Develop content for consumer marketing including author videos, Q&A’s, and original essays for placement on blogs and web sites
- Conduct marketing outreach efforts to niche websites and blogs
- Create, manage, and track marketing campaigns
- Craft consistent branding and messaging to communicate the uniqueness of No Starch Press
- Develop marketing collateral
- Evaluate campaigns and use your analysis to develop strategies for targeting new markets
- Develop new ways to promote No Starch Press
- Manage our social media presence
- Manage publicity campaigns. Pitch members of the media and answer media inquiries.
- Create monthly reports
- Manage a budget
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent communication skills
- A four year college degree
- Three (3) years’ experience in a strategic marketing/communications position in STEM publishing
- Experience with content marketing across a diverse range of scientific or technical disciplines
- Broad experience with digital marketing tools and techniques, including social media
- Experience with press and media relations
- An entrepreneurial attitude
As our Marketing Associate you will manage all content promotion, drive brand awareness, and coordinate our marketing efforts with those of our distributor, Penguin Random House. You'll play a key role in marketing our titles, communicating with the media, and developing key messages for titles and our company overall.
- Identify media outlets, pitch to media, build media lists, and follow up.
- Manage daily administrative tasks to ensure the Marketing department runs smoothly.
- Gather and analyze consumer behavior using resources such as web traffic measurements, online chatter, and rankings.
- Draft copy and marketing materials paying close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Develop and implement marketing strategy together with key stakeholders and marketing colleagues.
- Work with the communities that surround our titles as well as key influencers to develop and expand our brand.
- Help our company achieve marketing objectives and revenue goals.
- Define key messages and product vision.
- Analyze marketing effectivenes and optimize as needed.
- Attend trade shows.
- Measure the success of marketing campaigns.
- Drive sales, brand growth, and loyalty.
- Excellent communication skills
- A four year college degree
- 3+ years marketing experience in the book, gift, or a related industry
As our Editorial Assistant, you'll play a key role in developing and acquiring books like Automate the Boring Stuff with Python, Hacking: The Art of Exploitation, Coding Minecraft, and Serious Cryptography. You will:
- Perform substantive editing, with a focus on rewriting, structure, voice, and clarity.
- Manage relationships with authors and project schedules.
- Engage with the content of our titles and always work to improve them.
- Work to find new authors
- Attend the occasional conference or hacker event
The Editorial Production Assistant is focused on supporting the production of print and digital books. You will learn the fundamentals of our production process, and have the opportunity to contribute directly to the production of our books and help shape the future of our workflow. The ideal candidate will be able to see a complex project through from conception to completion.
The role offers opportunities for advancement, so interest in a long-term commitment and ability to adjust to changing responsibilities over time are a must.
Please note: This is not a writing position.
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE
- Prepare files for layout in InDesign while following strict style sheets
- Assist with the layout of individual titles, including entering corrections
- Work with authors, editors, copyeditors, and proofreaders to maintain editorial quality
- Quality check ebook files in various formats (PDF, EPUB, MOBI)
- Create and optimize PDF files and update ebooks
- Lay out equations and clean up figures and illustrations
- Input and check reprint corrections
- Update errata lists
- Prepare metadata for ebook distributors
- Create book samples for marketing
- File CIP applications
- Some familiarity with InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft Word, and HTML
- Ability to maintain a high level of care and meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional capacity to learn and solve problems independently
- Ability to self-motivate, meet deadlines, and take initiative to complete tasks both within and beyond the scope of duties
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and maintain flexibility with shifting responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to give and receive honest and direct feedback
- Calm demeanor and positive attitude under pressure
- Desire to be part of a close-knit team and to thrive in a collaborative environment
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
Understanding of copyediting marks and editorial procedures
We’re looking for talented freelance designers to design book covers and interiors. To be considered, please send your resume and portfolio to [email protected].
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please send an email detailing your relevant experience to [email protected].