No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do. As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
We're growing rapidly. As we expand we're hiring for the following positions.
Our industry leading benefits package includes up to 15 paid company holidays + 12 days vacation; a very generous retirement plan including a 401k with up to a 4% match, additional benefits beginning with 5% of yearly salary AND profit sharing up to 5% of salary; full medical, dental, and vision insurance; a tuition assistance program; bonus potential; and a full, stocked kitchen. And we pay all of our staff a living wage.
NOTE: When applying please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
Please send all job applications to [email protected]
No Starch Press, one of the world's fastest growing and most well respected technical book publishers, is looking for an experienced Production Editor.
Our books are sold throughout the world by Penguin Random House, the world's largest and strongest book distributor. For over 25 years we have shown that books matter and our readers love us for that.
We're growing fast and we're looking for exceptional candidates to join our very successful company. You’ll work closely with our teams to take our publishing program to the next level. You will be responsible for managing the production of about 10 books per year.
- Set realistic production schedules and publication dates for assigned titles
- Identify and resolve schedule hold-ups; revise schedules as needed
- Communicate with authors; field questions promptly
- Evaluate art files; communicate potential issues to authors and editorial
- Assess manuscript formatting and styling; ensure house styles are followed
- Prepare chapters for copyediting and layout; prepare images for print; review pages
- Manage freelancers, ensuring their work meets the needs of the manuscript and our quality standards
- Minimum five (5) years book production experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to maintain a high level of care and meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional ability to learn and solve problems independently
- Self-motivated, able to meet deadlines, take initiative
- Ability to multitask and maintain flexibility with shifting responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to give and receive clear feedback
- Demonstrated proficiency in copyediting, proofreading, editorial procedures, Chicago
We’re looking for talented freelance designers to design book covers and interiors. To be considered, please send your resume and portfolio to [email protected].
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please send an email detailing your relevant experience to [email protected].