No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do.
As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
We're hiring for the following positions:
All full time positions offer holiday, vacation, and sick time as well as medical, dental, and vision insurance. We also offer a 401k with match, profit-sharing, a retirement plan, and bonus potential. And we stock our fridge with food so you'll never have to miss lunch.
NOTE: When applying for any of these positions please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
Please send all job applications to [email protected]
As our Marketing Associate you will manage all content promotion, drive brand awareness, and coordinate our marketing efforts with those of our distributor, Penguin Random House. You'll play a key role in marketing our titles, communicating with the media, and developing key messages for titles and our company overall.
- Identify media outlets, pitch to media, build media lists, and follow up.
- Manage daily administrative tasks to ensure the Marketing department runs smoothly.
- Gather and analyze consumer behavior using resources such as web traffic measurements, online chatter, and rankings.
- Draft copy and marketing materials paying close attention to detail and accuracy.
- Develop and implement marketing strategy together with key stakeholders and marketing colleagues.
- Work with the communities that surround our titles as well as key influencers to develop and expand our brand.
- Help our company achieve marketing objectives and revenue goals.
- Define key messages and product vision.
- Analyze marketing effectivenes and optimize as needed.
- Attend trade shows.
- Measure the success of marketing campaigns.
- Drive sales, brand growth, and loyalty.
- Excellent communication skills
- A four year college degree
- 3+ years marketing experience in the book, gift, or a related industry
Among your responsibilities (as detailed below), as our Sales Associate you'll provide support and assistance to customers, research and resolve payment issues, update purchase orders and address information, verify account information, handle returns, and interact with and support regular communication with our distribution team at Penguin Random House Publisher Services.
- Work with our Sales Director to create presentations and assemble sales collateral
- Communicate with customers about bulk and resale orders, create invoices in Quickbooks, submit orders for fulfillment and track to completion
- Ship book samples and pitch letters to accounts
- Compile data and generate reports to support sales and foreign rights efforts
- Ship samples, data files, and contracts to foreign publishers; meticulously update database with deadlines, expenses, tracking information
- Maintain reports and contracts
- Schedule appointments and manage logistics for sales conferences and book fairs
- Maintain customer relationship management (CRM) database
- Consistently review processes to identify areas for improvement to increase productivity, efficiency and accuracy, and discuss improvements with management before making changes. Work with appropriate teams to implement approved changes.
- Continuously review and update written documentation as processes evolve and responsibilities change to ensure documentation is current and accurate at all times.
- 1-3 years experience in operations, administration, or sales
- Organized, detail-oriented, and meticulous
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to think critically and work independently
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and a willingness to learn new technologies
We’re looking for talented freelance designers to design book covers and interiors. To be considered, please send your resume and portfolio to [email protected].
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please send an email detailing your relevant experience to [email protected].