"Author David Erik Nelson gives step-by-step instructions for some of the craziest freak-out instruments ever to make it in a DIY book: Hacked tape deck Scratchbox, Droid Voicebox, electric kalimbas and cigar box ukes, strange pre-amps and more. Highly recommended!"
"The bottom line is that Junkyard Jam Band is a winner that boasts instruments for all ages."
Read an excerpt from Chapter 5, "The Scratchbox," on Makezine.com!
Download Chapter 6: The Droid Voicebox
Making music doesn’t have to be about dropping big bucks in the guitar shop or endlessly fiddling with expensive software. You can make good noise out of bits of wood and wire, plastic and steel. When you build your own instruments, creating your own sound comes naturally.
Junkyard Jam Band is a step-by-step guide to making a full array of complete musical projects—no previous carpentry or electronics experience required. Each build includes tips on how to coax the best sounds out of the instrument and encourages you to mod the project to fit your own style. Learn how to:
- Bust up your old tape decks for a handheld old-skool Scratchbox
- Give your voice a robotic makeover with the Droid Voicebox
- Circuit-bend unsuspecting childhood toys into mutant glitching jazz-punk machines
- Transform cigar boxes into thumb pianos and electric ukuleles
- Build a crackling, multifunction Mud-n-Sizzle Preamp to attach to any electric music machine
Along the way, you’ll explore the physics behind wind instruments, discover how harmonics work, and get your feet wet with some music theory. To top it all off, the back of the book includes a soldering primer for total beginners, along with extra circuits to customize your instruments even further.
Build your own band your way!
Check out the trailer on YouTube!