No Starch Press was founded in 1994 and is one of the most admired and respected technical book publishing companies in the world. Our independent company continues to turn tech book publishing on its head by opening new markets and demonstrating, time and again, that geeks still love print books. We value collaboration and creativity, we’re passionate about quality, and we aim to make our readers happy. We seek people who are committed to our ideals and who value quality in everything that they do. As our founder likes to say, “We’re changing the world, one book at a time.”
We're growing rapidly. As we expand we're hiring for the following positions.
Our industry leading benefits package includes up to 15 paid company holidays + 12 days vacation; a very generous retirement plan including a 401k with up to a 4% match, additional benefits beginning with 5% of yearly salary AND profit sharing up to 5% of salary; full medical, dental, and vision insurance; a tuition assistance program; bonus potential; and a full, stocked kitchen. And we pay all of our staff a living wage.
NOTE: When applying please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
Please send all job applications to [email protected]
We’re looking for an experienced, strategic Digital Marketing Manager. You should be able to hit the ground running. You should be self-motivated, entrepreneurial, and able to adapt to the changing world of marketing.
You’ll develop strategic marketing plans, direct our social media efforts, write copy, and work to expand our readership and growing fan base. You’ll be one of our public faces and represent us at conferences from time-to-time. You'll manage at least three people and must have demonstrated management experience.
Our books are distributed throughout the world by Penguin Random House, the world's largest and strongest book publisher. Their staff and systems are exceptional and you’ll work closely with our staff and Penguin Random House to take our publishing program to the next level.
You will manage all marketing efforts and report to our Publisher.
- Develop strategic marketing plans
- Manage our marketing and publicity campaigns
- Advise authors on growing their online presence
- Supervise creative for ads, collateral, and other promotional items
- Build our brand
- Manage our social media presence
- Create monthly reports
The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills and 10+ years experience in a strategic marketing/communications position in technical book publishing or a directly related field.
No Starch Press, one of the world's fastest growing and most well respected technical book publishers, is looking for an experienced Senior Production Editor.
Our books are sold throughout the world by Penguin Random House, the world's largest and strongest book distributor. For over 25 years we have shown that books matter and our readers love us for that.
We're growing fast and we're looking for exceptional candidates to join our very successful company. You’ll work closely with our teams to take our publishing program to the next level. You will be responsible for managing the production of 10-12 books per year.
Note: Please be sure to tell us why you would like to work with us.
- Set realistic production schedules and publication dates for assigned titles
- Identify and resolve schedule hold-ups; revise schedules as needed
- Communicate with authors; field questions promptly
- Evaluate art files; communicate potential issues to authors and editorial
- Assess manuscript formatting and styling; ensure house styles are followed
- Prepare chapters for copyediting and layout; prepare images for print; review pages
- Manage freelancers, ensuring their work meets the needs of the manuscript and our quality standards
- Minimum five (5) years book production experience
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
- Ability to maintain a high level of care and meticulous attention to detail in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional ability to learn and solve problems independently
- Self-motivated, able to meet deadlines, take initiative
- Ability to multitask and maintain flexibility with shifting responsibilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to give and receive clear feedback
- Demonstrated proficiency in copyediting, proofreading, editorial procedures, Chicago
We’re looking for a self-motivated, detail-oriented, experienced Executive Personal Assistant to support our President and Founder. This is a great opportunity to immerse yourself in the book publishing business.
You should have a broad knowledge of business administration as well as general HR. You should be able to work independently and efficiently. You should be extremely reliable and able to work in a fast-paced and often changing environment.
NOTE: In order to be considered for this role please be sure to tell us why you're interested in working with us!
- Manage calendar and some correspondence, draft emails and other communications
- Prepare financial and sales reports, organize purchase orders
- Arrange travel
- Manage general HR functions like new hire orientation and onboarding, compliance, and systems; answer employee questions
- Handle sensitive employee information with the utmost confidentiality and discretion
- Plan and execute company events (virtual and in-person)
- 8+ years experience as an Executive Personal Assistant or similar
- Experience with Google Apps, Microsoft Office or similar, and the ability to learn new tools
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the utmost confidentiality
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- BSc/BA in Business Administration or relevant field; additional education in Human Resources
We’re looking for talented freelance designers to design book covers and interiors. To be considered, please send your resume and portfolio to [email protected].
We're always on the lookout for excellent proofreaders, copyeditors, and indexers. If you're interested in freelance work, please send an email detailing your relevant experience to [email protected].