Download Chapter 4: BUILDING BLOCKS
The Arduino is an affordable, flexible, open source microcontroller platform designed to make it easy for hobbyists to use electronics in homemade projects. With an almost unlimited range of input and output add-ons, sensors, indicators, displays, motors, and more, the Arduino offers you countless ways to create devices that interact with the world around you.
This second edition of Arduino Workshop has been updated for the latest version of Arduino IDE. It begins with an overview of the Arduino system and then moves on to coverage of various electronic components and concepts, including revised content reflecting advances in displays, touchscreens, sensors, motors, GPS, and wireless technology. You’ll learn about new hardware and find updated projects that cover areas like touchscreens and LED displays, robotics, using sensors with wireless data links, and even controlling projects remotely through a cell phone. Brand new chapters include coverage of MAX7219-based LED numeric displays, LED matrix modules, and creating your own Arduino libraries.
Throughout the book, hands-on projects reinforce what you've learned and show you how to apply that knowledge. As your understanding grows, the projects increase in complexity and sophistication. Along the way, you’ll learn valuable lessons in coding, including how to create your own Arduino libraries to efficiently reuse code across multiple projects.
Among the book's 65 projects are useful devices like:
- A digital thermometer that charts temperature changes on an LCD
- A GPS logger that records data from your travels, which can be displayed on Google Maps
- A handy tester that lets you check the voltage of any single-cell battery
- A keypad-controlled lock that requires a secret code to open
You'll also learn to build Arduino toys and games like:
- An electronic version of the classic six-sided die
- A binary quiz game that challenges your number conversion skills
- A motorized remote control car with collision detection to keep it from crashing
Arduino Workshop will teach you the tricks and design principles of a master craftsman. Whatever your skill level, you'll have fun as you learn to harness the power of the Arduino for your own DIY projects.